1. Only with exceedingly rare and brief exception have Facebook on my phone or tablet.
2. Have, and keep constantly updated, quality anti-virus, malware detection, and ad-blocking software. Run scans by these regularly, even if they are already automated and constantly run in the background. In addition, keep a clean machine (e.g. – make regular use of CCleaner or similar software).
3. Never “sign in” to any account via another account (e.g. – “Sign in with Facebook”).
4. Refuse to do anything on any social media unless #’s 1-3 above are in place, working well, and are current.
5. Within Facebook, make sure Platform is turned off. [Settings > Apps]
6. Make sure zero check boxes are ticked under Apps Others Use. [Settings > Apps]
7. Select “Only Me” for Old Versions of Facebook for Mobile. [Settings > Apps]
8. Closely and regularly review answers to all eight questions under Privacy. Err on the side of restriction. [Settings > Privacy]
9. Select “Only Me” and “On” for all Timeline and Tagging Settings. [Settings > Timeline and Tagging]
10. Closely, and regularly, review all settings under six categories under Your Ad Preferences. [Settings > Ads] Again, err on the side of restriction.
11. Do not play any games or take any polls on any social media.
12. When posting, make rare use of tagging others and typically remove any tags that automatically appear.
13. Avoid skipping or putting off any of the preceding.