Do you have a deliberate, regular plan you work as to how you pray for your church’s shepherds and staff? Or if you’re a church leader, how would you like fellow church members to daily pray for you?
I recently noticed that Thom Rainer relates in his fine book I Am a Church Member (p.51) that he has for many years regularly asked church members to deliberately pray five minutes a day, every day, for their leaders. Imagine every church member praying daily for their church’s leadership. Amen!
But if you were to start praying for shepherds and staff, what would you pray about each day? If you don’t already have a plan, let me suggest a plan I follow whereby I talk to God about seven specific matters regarding our church family’s leaders. To keep it simple and steady, each day of the week has a specific point of focus. Pick up this plan – or let it spark one of your own – and run with it!
- Sunday – guidance from God’s Spirit and godly influence with people
- Monday – spiritual development, growth & maturity
- Tuesday – purity & holiness of life, protection from Satan’s traps, & escape from temptation
- Wednesday – provision for their physical needs & ways
- Thursday – discernment, insight, knowledge, tendencies & wisdom
- Friday – family (marriage, children, extended family & closest friends)
- Saturday – strength of emotional, mental & physical health