The Al-Bahr Mosque (aka: the Sea Mosque) is the oldest existing mosque in Jaffa (Joppa; Yofa) today, having been constructed no later than the mid-1600’s. Located close to, and overlooking, the Mediterranean, many Muslim fishermen and sailors through the years have prayed here before setting sail from the port of Jaffa, as have their wives for their safety.
The railing near the top of the minaret is for the muezzin, or crier, who makes the call to prayer (adhan) five times every day. The wording of every call is the same for adhan sums up the Shahada, the Islamic statement of faith that there is no god but Allah, none are worthy of worship except Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger. Most Muslims who hear the adhan say the wording to themselves silently as they hear it announced.