NOTE: Following is a copy of the discussion guide that will be used in MoSt Church’s LIFE groups tomorrow, Sept. 30. This guide will enable your follow-up of the morning’s worship gathering, as we add begin a new sermon series entitled “Devoted.” Look under the category title “LIFE group guides” and you’ll find an archive of previous discussion guides.
To introduce and explore what it means for each of us to be completely given over to God.
The believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, to the community, to their shared meals, and to their prayers. 43 A sense of awe came over everyone. (Acts 2.42-43 CEB)
Icebreaker questions are meant to help us all start talking. Choose one of the following to discuss as a group.
1. Tell us about something, anything, you’re totally into doing.
2. I think it’s important for a person to be devoted to ____________. Why?
3. I find my devotion to a belief or person reinforced and strengthened by ____________.
These questions are meant to help us grapple with Scripture related to this morning’s sermon. Choose some.
1. What would you say is a component of, or a synonym of, the word “devoted?” Why?
2. Christians here are tagged as “believers” (vs. 42a). What does “belief” have to do with “devotion” and vice versa?
3. This passage says the new believers devoted themselves to God in four ways (vs. 42b). What are those four things? How do each of these matters express belief in Jesus as Lord?
4. How might the “sense of awe” (vs. 43) these believers experienced come to grow out of their expression and practice of devotion?
5. What other Scriptures come to mind when you think of a person being “devoted” to God?
These questions facilitate our sharing what we sense God’s Spirit is doing with us thru his word. Choose some.
1. What sort of pain do you experience when a friend clearly demonstrates that their devotion to you is only lukewarm? What sort of joy is yours – and how do you express it – when you see that their devotion is obvious and strong?
2. What things most frequently challenge your living a life devoted to God and how are you doing battle with such?
3. When you sense your devotion waning, what is usually happening in your life? Similarly, what do you see going on when your devotion is clearly growing?
4. Is a person’s devotion to God solely a product of their own determination and effort or is it more like a co-partnering with God? Why?
5. What is God’s role in our devotion to him?
6. A new Christian asks your advice how they can consistently grow their devotion to God. How would you respond? Why?
7. Pray together as a group for enduring devotion to Christ on the part of each member of your group. Continue this prayer every day this week in your own life by daily praying for all of your group’s members by name.