NOTE: Following is a copy of the discussion guide that will be used in MoSt Church’s LIFE groups tomorrow (Sun., Sept. 11). This guide flows out of the sermon that I’ll preach that morning. You’ll find these LIFE group discussion guides categorized each week here on my site under the category title LIFE group guides.
To encourage us to remember that our life is governed by God, not by our grief, grit, guts, or gain.
Think about what I’m saying; the Lord will give you understanding about everything. Remember Jesus Christ, who was raised from the dead and descended from David. This is my good news. (2 Timothy 2:7-8)
Icebreaker questions are intended to simply get us all talking. Choose one of the following to discuss as a group.
1. Where were you when you first learned the news of what happened on Sept. 11, 2001?
2. When you hear the words “Jesus Christ,” what is the first thing that pops into your mind?
These questions are meant to help us grapple directly with some of the sermon’s Scripture text.
1. What good is there to be had in pondering (“think about what I am saying” – vs.7)?
2. What’s Paul’s point in reminding Christians Jesus was a descendant of David (vs. 8)?
3. Paraphrase the meaning of verse 8 in your own words in a single sentence.
These questions facilitate our sharing what we sense God’s Spirit is doing with us through his word.
1. Where, or through whom, were you first memorably called to “remember Jesus Christ?”
2. What sorts of “news” are we tempted to build our lives around rather than God’s “good news?”
3. It seems a bit strange to call on Christians to “remember Jesus Christ?” How is it he so forgettable?
4. How do other Christians best assist you in “remembering Jesus Christ?”
5. What is your most painful memory of Jesus?
6. What is your most precious memory of the Christ?
7. What exactly are you intent on making memorable in your life to others about Jesus Christ?