Art, Christians, cinema, film, movie & the movie Noah: Will Evangelicals Miss the Boat on Noah?
“Not much has changed since the late Francis Schaeffer wrote in Art and the Bible, ‘I am afraid that as evangelicals, we think that a work of art only has value if we reduce it to a tract.’”
* “… the real issue was not this particular group of 12 chemicals. Most of them are already being heavily restricted. This dozen is meant to illuminate something bigger: a broken system that allows industrial chemicals to be used without any significant testing for safety. The greater concern lies in what we’re exposed to and don’t yet know to be toxic.”
* “Human movement can be reduced to three basic categories: pushing, pulling, and hip extension (squatting, jumping, running, and even riding a bike). Functional fitness begins with learning good form for this essential repertoire and then gradually adding weight and difficulty to build stability and strength. Doing these exercises correctly with five pounds, in other words, is better than doing them poorly with 100.”
Church & discipleship: Deep Before Wide: A Vision for Returning Discipleship to the Church
“Discipleship is laboring in the lives of a few to give away your life and the gospel.”
Confession, Lent, repentance & sin: No Needy Among Us?
“This is one of the best arguments for seasons of confession like Lent. Without it, church starts becoming a place for ‘fine’ people to get together. We show up on the weekend with all our junk in order, and if we can’t at least look like that, chances are we just won’t go at all. We learn to stuff down this sense that all is not right in the world and all is not right with us.”
Critical thinking & statistics: 3 Ways to Recognize Bad Stats
“We need to be shrewd when it comes to statistics and reality: things are not always as they seem.”
Forgiveness, Fred Phelps, grace & hate: * Hate and How to Overcome It: How Should We Respond to the Tragic Death of Fred Phelps?; * The Problem of Fred Phelps; * Fred Phelps: Life of Fear
* “… since a hateful man has died after distorting a message of Jesus’ love, I suggest that we consider three ways to respond …”
* “… to celebrate a death, especially one of such a tragic life, feels like we are starting to be on the wrong side of good.”
* “I pray when Phelps looked into the face of God, he saw a God he didn’t recognize. The God of all Creation, the One True God that casts out all fear. The God who loves us all enough.”
Payday loans: Garland Adopts Strong Payday Lending Regs
“An ordinance with real reforms to these predatory products …”