“Jesus said … ‘Get ready for trouble. Look to what you’ll need; there are difficult times ahead. Pawn your coat and get a sword.’ …
“They said, ‘Look, Master, two swords!’
“But he said, ‘Enough of that; no more sword talk!'” (Luke 22.36-38)
Texas Governor-elect Greg Abbott wants to see the open carry of firearms become the law of the land in Texas.
With all due respect, I believe his sort of thinking is shot full of holes. For sake of brevity, let me just enumerate here ten ways as to why.
1. If you’re really trying to up your safety factor against criminals we all know the best way to do that is to start openly carrying a handgun – so the criminally-minded know exactly who to take out first, right?
2. Recent events in the national news (aka: deaths of innocent individuals) only reinforce the thought that law enforcement would never make a mistake in shooting someone they thought was carrying what appeared to be a firearm and so, open-carry laws could only minimize the number of such tragedies, right?
3. Everyone packing heat is always very level-headed and would never succumb to a raw emotional impulse, something they could avoid if they weren’t packing to start with, right?
4. All sorts of people in all sorts of places carrying lethal weapons in plain view for everyone to see just makes for a more at-ease, anxiety-free, and peace-minded society, right?
5. Affording quicker and easier access to children, those not fully responsible for themselves – anyone within reach, really – will never result in any accidents, right?
6. Our ancestors who lived through far more openly and consistently dangerous times and situations many years ago just didn’t have a clue what they were doing when they outlawed open-carry to start with, right?
7. No well known pro open carry organizations have a track record of harassment, bullying, or threatening people and have the NRA’s full support, right?
8. This push for legislation is based on solid research/studies and what’s truly best for people, with no political machinations at work, right?
9. There’s certainly no chance of any sort of subtle intimidation, wordless manipulation, unjust persuasion, or unconscious alienation going on in any conversation when one party is strapped and the other one isn’t, making for no distraction or disruption whatsoever in everyday dealings with any and all others, right?
10. After all, open carry just makes good sense for servants of the Prince of Peace and, loving your enemies is just so much easier in an increasingly violence-prone society when you’re totin’ a modern day “Peacemaker,” right?
For these ten reasons – and more – I believe an open carry law in today’s Texas makes little sense and could bring far more harm than any potential good it could ever bring. And so, I don’t think there’s much right about seeking an open carry law in Texas’ future.
Just one Christian thinkin’ out loud here.
“Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4.5-7)