This coming Sunday morning, May 1, most of our English-speaking adult Bible classes (9:00 a.m.) at MoSt Church will study Rock Solid Commitment, a study of the seventh of the Ten Commandments (“you shall not commit adultery”; Exodus 20:14; Deut. 5:18). Utilize the following questions to help you prepare for your part in class this Sunday.
1. What’s the biggest lie that Satan tries to sell people today about marriage? About sex? About fidelity?
2. What is a Biblical definition of adultery? Is adultery always spoken as being sexual in nature?
3. What does adultery have in common with the previous six of the Ten Commandments?
4. How is it that adultery and deceit naturally accompany each other?
5. Why do you think the OT prophets used adultery as a metaphor for idolatry? How are the two alike?
6. This commandment, “you shall not commit adultery,” is a clear call for us to never ignore, exploit, manipulate, or use people. Someone has said, “Disposable sex makes for disposable people.” How does it feel to be used and then discarded, to be treated with unfaithfulness?
7. What do you suppose are some of the drivers behind adultery?
8. How has adultery affected your family? Friends of yours? Our church family?
9. Why do we automatically think “it would never happen to me” when it comes to adultery?
10. Sexual adultery is rarely the first reason a relationship goes south, but it is often “the last straw.” What do you sense are some of the biggest and most common pressures placed on marriages today?
11. What are some situations you face that are potentially dangerous to your marriage?
12. If you were to give advice to a couple about to get married, what advice would you give them as to how to help make their marriage “adultery-proof?” What practical steps do you take to avoid compromising your integrity and purity yourself?
13. How can you best help a struggling friend who has an unfaithful mate? How can you help a friend who is being unfaithful?